Writer ~ Enthusiast ~ Ministry Leader ~
Nurturing and empowering children to stand firm on God's Word because the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. (Matthew 5:10)

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Why Not Me?

At first glance, some of you may wonder..."what is she wearing?"  Well, one goal in children's ministry is: to incorporate the Word of God in a fun-filled creative way that is age appropriate for young children under the age of 13.  On this day, we were celebrating the Most High King who sits on the throne. I figured, "why can I not be a queen for the day?"  Specifically, I chose to be a chess queen.  The children really enjoyed recognizing the authority and dominion of God, while playing a game of chess and seeing me in this costume.  I'm looking forward to wearing it again.

I recall this day, because I've been recruiting new parent volunteers for children's church, and I find myself responding to a question I have asked myself many times: "I don't know what I have to offer, are you sure you want me?"  It appears most of us 'little servants' see our worth according to our skills, talents, position, past successes, past failures, losses and relationships.  That thought process is wrong.  In February, I received this quote:

"Think of the self that God has given as an acorn.  It is a marvelous little thing, a perfect shape, perfectly designed for its purpose, perfectly functional.  Think of the grand glory of an oak tree.  God's intention when He made the acorn was the oak tree.  His intention for us is '...the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.'  Many deaths must go into our reaching that measure, many letting-goes.  When you look at the oak tree, you don't feel that the loss of the acorn is a very great loss.  The more you perceive God's purpose in your life, the less terrible the losses seem." -Elisabeth Elliot

Instead of immediately believing we are insignificant, consider "Why not me?" Let's go parent volunteers!

No comments:

Post a Comment