Writer ~ Enthusiast ~ Ministry Leader ~
Nurturing and empowering children to stand firm on God's Word because the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. (Matthew 5:10)

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Keep Your Feet Straight

 
"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."
Proverbs 22:6

In September of 2012, I ripped my Achilles tendon completing a weighted run.  The run was at an attempt to improve my health and outward appearance.  And, even though I'm still undergoing therapy and not now in the same physical shape I was in before the injury, I will continue to encourage physical fitness and improving YOU everyday.  Each week I complete two sessions with a physical therapist to gain the strength and flexibility in my foot, leg, and whole body.

Regularly during me sessions, I have to walk in a straight line across the room.  Almost every time, I hear my doctor say "Tarah, keep your foot straight."  Because, my tendon and muscles are weak in my right foot, I have the tendency to angle my right foot outwards 25 or 30 degrees.  I usually giggle and make her laugh, commenting "I'm just making sure you are on your toes."  But, this is a serious consequence of not using my muscles in that foot for almost six months.  My doctor explains to me: my body has created a new position in which to hold my foot, therefore, I have to work harder and think about walking in a straight line.

When I'm away from the physical therapy office participating in every day life, I find my self looking down at my foot to make sure it is straight.  If I'm walking through a parking lot, and there are painted white lines on the concrete or black top, I'll purposefully walk on those lines and keep my foot straight. I look a little weird to strangers (and friends).  Picture a woman, normal in appearance, looking down at her feet, and walking the lines in the elementary school parking lot.

I say all of this to encourage you to continue to push the children in your lives into the direction of the path God has prepared for them.  Just as I have to work harder to keep my foot straight on the line, so do our children.  It's a natural process for their feet to want to stray away from the path that God has prepared for them.  When veering away from their path, there is a consequence of becoming weak.  Encourage them to "keep your feet straight."  Remind them to read God's Word, pray to Him daily, and fellowship with like minded people.  Be their God-inspired therapist!



No comments:

Post a Comment