Writer ~ Enthusiast ~ Ministry Leader ~
Nurturing and empowering children to stand firm on God's Word because the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. (Matthew 5:10)

Monday, May 27, 2013

Body Language

No one has ever seen God.  But if we love each other, God lives in us, and His love is brought to full expression in us.
1 John 4:12

I was enjoying a popular animated movie with my daughter the other day and something caught my attention.  My daughter begins to laugh hysterically with anticipation for the upcoming scene.  She shouts "he's going to run away, he's going to run away!"  And, her face is illuminated with excitement, so then I begin to wonder..."what is going to happen?"

I'll try to paint a picture of the present scene I was viewing.  Two best friends had previously had an argument, heated discussion, quarrel, tiff, moment of disagreement, or whatever term you like to use.  Clearly, they had a verbal altercation.  But, a bad situation had caused them to become suddenly separated during the argument.  With neither of the two in the sight of the other, grief set in.  Thoughts began to surface as they often do: where is my friend, is he safe, will I see him again, I don't want to be alone, and I'm sorry, I apologize.  Now, stranded and alone grief became nearly overwhelming, then almost simultaneously, they each hear the voice of the other.  Presently, what I was viewing was triumphal music playing, rays of sunshine are beaming through the clouds, birds are flying, and the friends are running toward one another with arms stretched wide and welcoming.  The smiles on their faces can be seen from yards apart with anticipation of the embrace to come.

But, remember...my daughter is cracking up in anticipation of what is about to happen.  "He's going to run away", she shouts one more time, and I can see the change in emotions of the friends, immediately (before the music change).  Because, the larger more domineering friend's arms begin to fold inward, bringing his elbows to his waistline, and his welcoming hands are now balled into a fist.  He's now charging in the direction of his friend (he was so sorrowful for moments earlier) with angry eyes and determination. Of course, with exaggerated and hilarious response, the now un-welcomed lowly friend runs in fear in the opposite direction of his beloved large friend.  And my daughter and I are each laughing with the same kind of exaggeration.

After the movie had gone off and days later, I questioned: "Aside from fear, what emotion surged through the un-welcomed lowly friend, who was awaiting that warming needed embrace of his best friend, as the body language of his friend shifted?"  Rejection, disappointment, loneliness?  How often does my body language produce the feelings of rejection, disappointment, and loneliness in someone else.  I can remember feeling that way due to the body language of a friend.  The Word of God encourages us that our expression is a reflection of God in us.  Therefore, our mannerisms and body language have a visible effect on those around us.  Although the characters in the movie were designed to make us laugh, their emotions are an example of how we adults and our children feel and act sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling. Just today, my husband looked at me, crinkled his face, scrunched his eyebrows, and stared into my eyes. I thought to myself, "What in the world is he doing?," but curiosity made me go a step further and I simply asked. . . What is that face for? He said, "That's how you're looking right now." I laughed, he laughed. Funny thing is, when I'm deep in thought, rather it's something bad, good, or a battle within, I wear my emotions on my face.

    I've often been told all my life that I wear my emotions on my sleeve, and everything I think or feel is in my face. I've even been told I cry in my words sometimes. What about the notion that I can't lie right? What does that mean? I often inquire from those who make that statement. Then, I'm told that even when I lie (jokingly) it shows on my face.

    Truth is innate, as well as actions being emotionally driven. I, myself, am able to see the pain in others, watch reactions, feel another's emotions in my spirit, and have been able to do so as a child. I love the cartoon you were watching, and my prayers are with you on your blog. R. POSTON

    ReplyDelete